National Aerospace Week is organized and supported by the Aerospace Industries Association. We’re inviting member companies, aerospace and defense related associations, interest groups and associations, academic institutions and individuals who have an interest in the industry to join us during National Aerospace Week – September 13-16, 2016 – to recognize the enormous contribution that America’s aerospace and defense industry, its workers and products make to our nation’s future success and security.
In 2010, the Senate and House of Representatives passed resolutions permanently establishing the third week of September as National Aerospace Week (the resolution can be found at: NationalAerospaceWeek.org). Since its induction, National Aerospace Week has been supported nationwide, from Washington, D.C. to Hawaii, through events highlighting the industry and its powerful workforce.
Organizations across America have sponsored events during this annual celebration with a distinct message – our industry brings numerous benefits to the nation and the lives of every American. We are a leader in innovation and breakthrough technologies, we create good jobs, and build the world’s best military, space exploration and civil aircraft systems that contribute to our entire economy.
America’s aerospace and defense industry is a powerful force with enduring impact – the aerospace and defense industry directly employs nearly one million workers, supports another 2.5 million jobs in all 50 states, and generated a $61 billion foreign trade surplus in 2014, the largest of any manufacturing sector.
Sponsoring an Event
If you would like to host a National Aerospace Week event, we will provide you with the National Aerospace Week logo for your use and post the event on the National Aerospace Week website (www.NationalAerospaceWeek.org). Let us know about your activities and events so we can post them to our national calendar and they can serve as a source of good ideas for others. We welcome new ideas! The criteria for National Aerospace Week events are simple.
The event should:
- Advance understanding of the aerospace and defense industry;
- Support the aerospace and defense workforce (future and current); or
- Support a charitable cause or organization linked to aerospace.
For companies, communities, and stakeholders:
- Outreach to communities/elected officials:
- Host open houses and facility visits for members of Congress and the public
- Brief community leaders and members of Congress on industry issues and the company
- Sponsor an event
- Advertise in local publications
- Speak to local community organizations
- Place op-eds in local publications
- Schedule interviews with local press
- Display National Aerospace Week posters (camera ready logo available on the National Aerospace Week website)
- Place articles and advertisements in house organs
- Link your website to www.NationalAerospaceWeek.org
- Outreach to employees:
- Display National Aerospace Week posters (camera-ready logo available on the National Aerospace Week website)
- Place articles and advertisements in house
- Link your website to www.nationalaerospaceweek.org.
- Outreach to schools to drive STEM interest and messaging:
- Host “Careers in Aerospace” day in schools
- Arrange facility tours of local aerospace and defense companies for students
- Develop an industry orientation day for teachers
National Aerospace Week Resources
- Facts and figures describing the industry
- Key policy briefs
- State-by-state data
- Request hard copy information
If you are participating in National Aerospace Week as a business, individual or organization we encourage you to spread the word to let your family, friends, employees, co-workers and supporters know what you are doing to participate this year.
- Stay involved in the conversation on Twitter by using the hashtag: #NAW2016 or #AeroWeek
- Tweet at the Aerospace Industries Association via @AIAspeaks
- Share your photos with the Aerospace Industries Association at Facebook.com/AIA.Aerospace
- Check out videos from the Aerospace Industries Association’s YouTube channel.